The 10 Commandments of Working with a Nonprofit Board (Erik Hanberg)
Do you have a productive relationship with your board of directors? Are the
individual and collective roles clearly defined for optimum success? Erik Hanberg, who has over 20 years’ experience breaking down the complex and often confusing relationship between a nonprofit’s leadership and its board of directors, shares his best advice for working with a nonprofit board in episode #247 of Your Path to Nonprofit Leadership. Erik explains his 10 Commandments for establishing and maintaining an effective working relationship with a nonprofit board. Do you know what it takes to grow your small nonprofit? Erik also shares his Four D’s: how documentation, data, development, and determination are the keys to your organization’s success.
"The dynamic between the nonprofit executive and the volunteer board can be the
strangest employment situation in the professional world."
Erik Hanberg has spent more than 20 years working with nonprofits. In addition to serving as the director of two nonprofits, he has served as an Interim ED twice and worked for nonprofits in marketing and fundraising. He has also served on boards and committees for more than a dozen organizations, often in leadership roles, and several times during a capital campaign. He is the author of four books for nonprofits, focusing on nonprofit management, fundraising, social media, and board governance, which have collectively sold tens of thousands of copies. They’ve been praised as essential reads for nonprofits by Forbes.com, LinkedIn for Nonprofits, Kirkus Reviews, and thousands of executive directors and board members. In addition, he served for more than 12 years in elected office on the board of Metro Parks Tacoma, a junior municipality with an annual operating budget of $50+ million. He lives in Tacoma, Washington, with his wife Mary and two children.
EPISODE TOPICS & RESOURCES
- Mission Based Management: Leading Your Not-for-Profit in the 21st Century by Peter C. Brinckerhoff
- Learn more about Erik here
- For more information or to purchase Erik’s “Little Book” bundle series here
- Ready for a Mastermind? Learn more here!
- Have you gotten Patton’s book Your Path to Nonprofit Leadership: Seven Keys to Advancing Your Career in the Philanthropic Sector
- Watch for the companion workbook and the audio version of Patton’s best seller, Your Path to Nonprofit Leadership, coming soon!